Intro, digital citizenship, and digital footprint OH MY
Part 1: Introduction
Hello everyone! My name is Cameron Aungst. I am a middle-level health and physical education teacher in the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I have always had a passion for physical activity, sports, and leadership. When it came time to decide my career path, teaching health and physical education felt like an amazing opportunity. As a professional, my primary goal is to teach my students that physical activity should be enjoyable, rather than a job or chore to do. As a professional, I would also love to bring forward more fitness activity clubs for my students, as our school does not have many at the moment. Another goal that I have is to become the head coach of our varsity baseball team, as currently I am the head coach of our junior varsity team.
Part 2: ISTE Standard
While reviewing the ISTE standards for students, one standard immediately caught my eye. As a health teacher in my district, I have recently been tasked with adding digital citizenship to our curriculum, as this is something that can heavily affect our health. Standard 1.2.a for students, in regards to a digital footprint, states that students should “manage their digital identity and understand the lasting impact of their online behaviors on themselves and others and make safe, legal and ethical decisions in the digital world.” (ISTE, 2024) While working on my curriculum for the digital citizenship unit, I found a fantastic resource for this set of lessons. Commonsense.org has very meaningful digital citizenship lessons, and their digital footprint lessons are one of my favorites. The digital footprint lesson begins with a video with pictures and words that can be related to a digital footprint. (The Power of Digital Footprints | Common Sense Education, 2019) After the video, students are tasked with looking through the digital footprints of two candidates for a social media video series. (The Power of Digital Footprints | Common Sense Education, 2019) Each candidate has issues with their digital footprint, and they must choose in small groups in the end whether to keep or fire the chosen candidate because of her digital footprint. (The Power of Digital Footprints | Common Sense Education, 2019). At the end of the lesson, students are then asked to take a 5-question quiz to solidify their learning on the topic.
Part 3: Triple E Framework
One of the reasons why I love this lesson is the collaboration students get with looking through another person's digital footprint. While working in groups, they are able to see just how easily a person can make mistakes with their digital footprint online. This task is great at both engaging and enhancing a student's understanding of a digital footprint. The digital footprint of each candidate is not very impressive, and many students, after discussion, feel like neither of them should be hired. The main question I ask my students at the end of the lesson is, “How quickly were we able to learn about these two individuals through their digital footprint?” The main answer I get is VERY QUICK! Time permitting, I try to extend it to real-world issues where other people (mostly celebrities or sports stars) have gotten themselves into trouble based on the things they have said on the internet without realizing their actions would have consequences later on in life. This lesson, from my previous times teaching this, provides a great use of the Triple E Framework by Liz Kolb (Kolb, 2020). The video at the beginning of the lesson provides an engaging discussion about a digital footprint. The main activity of hiring an individual based on their digital footprint helps enhance their understanding of how this topic can have real-world effects. Finally, the end portion of the lesson can easily be extended to outside of the classroom examples and discussions. While the world around us, especially in the digital spaces, can seem chaotic, teaching digital citizenship to our upcoming students can transform understanding of these digital spaces.
References
ISTE. (2024). ISTE standards: For students. ISTE. https://iste.org/standards/students
Kolb, L. (2020, December 9). Triple E Framework. Triple E Framework. https://www.tripleeframework.com/
The Power of Digital Footprints | Common Sense Education. (2019). Common Sense Education. https://www.commonsense.org/education/digital-citizenship/lesson/the-power-of-digital-footprints?check_logged_in=1
Comments
Post a Comment